Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Visions of Comfort Foods Dancing In My Head

Fall is imminent. Yeah, today it was 84 degrees and we’re sleeping with the windows open tonight, but in two days, the temperature will drop to the low seventies, upper sixties and stay there for a while before it slides inexorably into cold-as-a-witch’s-youknowwhat territory for the next four months. And guess what that means.

Yes. Dusting off those cookbooks and getting back into comfort foods – the stuff I started off this blog with nine months ago. No more “it’s too hot to cook; here’s some cereal” nights. We’re talking soups and stews and crockpot goodies. Tomorrow is one of my faves: eight-hour slow-cooked ribs, finished off in a smokin’ hot oven for about fifteen minutes, just long enough to carmelize the barbecue sauce. I’m not allowed to make those on any night when Rev has a meeting or class. There are never any leftovers for him.

I’m looking forward to the first really cold, crisp autumn evening, when I can try out my new chunky tomato soup recipe, served with homemade croutons or a splurg-y panini with prosciuto and Brie. Oh! And turkey chili (again, handy crockpot) with sweet, buttery cornbread. Maybe some homemade pizza (we can certainly stand to give the takeout chain a rest). I think I have the fixings for paella.

I can tell I’ll be having some nice dreams tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment