Sunday, September 4, 2011

Change Of Plans

So the whale watch excursion didn’t happen. I took my own advice, put down the list, and let Rev make the arrangements. Only, he didn’t. Instead, he chose a tour company brochure at random as we headed out the door, and spent a while going in the wrong direction, thanks to the confused GPS (the “witch-in-a-box”). Despite his driving like Bruce Wayne, we squealed into the dock’s parking lot at 1:32, just in time to see the boat – crammed with tourists – sail away.

I seethed all the way back to the house, silently. Just like that, I was back to my control-freak self. If it had been me, if I hadn’t relinquished the planning, I’d have pinpointed our destination on the map, made reservations, left the house earlier. I was angry, and disappointed; this was the one thing I’d really wanted to do this week. As soon as the car rolled to a stop, I jumped out and walked toward the harbor, cussing to myself like those angry, crazy homeless people you see on the streets of big cities.

Something told me to check out the Visitor’s Center, where I found a brochure for a pirate ship tour, a 1 ½ hour excursion just along the coastline. I called up to the house and invited Rev to bring the kids down at a quarter to three (fifteen minutes early – I’m no dummy) and treated myself to a quick lunch.

The kids loved the trip. The captain was personable and let each of them hoist a sail and steer the ship while he told stories of New England’s piratical beginnings. The sea was pretty choppy, making the one and half hours feel like the first four months of my last pregnancy. In the end, if I’m being honest, it was a better day than I had expected; I still got to gaze out at the water and let my body be still (only partly because of queasiness). Each kid got special attention from the three-man crew. We all learned a little history. I got some great pictures.


It’s uncomfortable, even maddening, to have to ditch my to-do list, even if it’s to do something else equally fun. It leaves me unsettled. I like my world orderly, all my ducks in a row. I have to remind myself that my kids are pretty flexible; if they’re doing something different, they’re probably having fun. I’ve asked them several times over the last couple of days: did you guys have fun on vacation? Each time, they’ve responded with unfeigned enthusiasm.

So what if we lost two days because of the storm? Who cares if we only got to the beach twice? And, you know what? Those majestic whales will still be there a month from now, or next May, or next summer. This vacation wasn’t exactly how I had planned it, but it was definitely a success. I have the pictures, the smiles, and the hugs to prove it. Nice house, beautiful setting, fun activities. We had a good (if not completely relaxing) time, and that’s what’s important, right?

Of course it is. That is the lesson from this year’s vacation.

(I’ve already started the list for next year’s trip.)

No comments:

Post a Comment