Sunday, January 23, 2011

Now, That's Not So Difficult, Is It?

So by now, I bet you're wondering:  How's that healthy eating not-resolution going?  I mean, it is January 23, with only one more week in that thirty-days-at-a-time challenge.  Surely, danablue has resorted back to the time-saving convenience of powdered cheddar cheese and boxed corn bread mix by now, right?

Actually, I've been doing pretty well, overall.  I will admit to baking a couple of sheets of pre-made cookie dough -- but in my defense, I had bought them in December and really couldn't let them go to waste, now could I?  Anyway, I feel quite virtuous because, having finally used up the cookie log, I busted out the Fannie Farmer cookbook and made spiced molasses cookies.  They weren't pretty (I think I learned that shortening and butter are not, in fact interchangeable), but they were yummy. 

What about those old-fashioned, money saving, cooked-from-scratch family dinners?  Well, you already know about my slow-cooked, lovingly-made turkey soup.  Did I mention that I added homemade crunchy croutons made from bagels snagged off of the day-old bakery rack?  Even Doodle and Scooby, who hate soup, wolfed that down and asked for more.  I'm also putting in the Win column a batch of chicken curry that tasted like downtown Mumbai on a sunny day. 

Then there's the filling fruit muesli that I've been bringing to work with me most mornings.  Take five handfuls of five-minute oats, half as much crushed bran flakes, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, and assorted dried fruits (cranberries, blueberries, raisins, dates, cherries).  Store it in an airtight container.  Measure out about 1/2 cup.  Soak it with milk, add half a banana.  I like to warm it up for a minute after my long, cold commute to work.  I eat this at ten, I'm not hungry until two. 

Right, so now you're thinking, Hey, anybody can make soup, stew, or cerealWhat about real dinners? 

I'm glad you asked. 

How about nicely seasoned pan fried flounder with a side of pearl barley mushroom "risotto" and roasted asparagus?   Pretty enough to be on Top Chef, I'll tell you what.  (Not a big fan of flounder, though, I have to say -- kind of a mushy texture.  I'll stick to halibut, I think.)

Or baked sweet potato french fries, healthy with a hint of cinnamon, and a very friendly food for The Rev's new diet, paired with green onion turkey burgers and steamed broccoli.   

The fact is, I'm finding it super easy, and a little bit thrilling, to put good, healthy, homemade food on the table.  Even if it's just a cheese omelet with toast for a lazy, can't-be-bothered-tonight dinner, I'm learning that easy and convenient doesn't have to be unhealthy.  But when The Rev takes seconds of asparagus (!!) and the little kids request more pearl barley "risotto," even though it contains visible mushrooms and onions, you know you're on the right track. 

Now it's on to the next culinary challenge:  figuring out how to make delicious brussels sprouts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment